– The threat of jihadist terror on a mass scale
– The growing danger of nuclear weapons in the hands of radical regimes
– The possibility of debilitating cyberwarfare
– The economic and political challenge posed by a rising China
– The impact of globalization on American jobs
When people think that their leaders do not share their fears, or are incapable of acting on them, then popular fear turns to rage.
Trump’s campaign sensed voter’s fears. His campaign focused almost exclusively on highlighting these fears.